Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Letter to the President



First off I'd like that the film " Letter to the President" is really eye-opening. I'm a white male and for me, I've never lived in the ghetto, been poor, or harrassed by the police because of how i dress or what I look like; and i think that this film really lets everyone see what it is like to be a member of the Hip-Hop Culture. Reading about these same stories just doesn't do justice as viewing it, because seeing is beleiving to me. I never thought of many rappers as activists for the Hip-Hop culture because I've just always listened to the beat of a song and not really the lyrics. I never knew that our own government was using drug money to fund a war and that really bothered me. Our own government really doesn't seem to care about the minority in this country, they only care about getting that cold hard cash.
I also liked listening and viewing a different side of the Hip-Hop culture that I wasn't used to seeing. When I see hip hop on tv it's all big rims, fancy cars, and hot girls; but many of the artists that were featured in this film had a very educated view on today's and yesterdays politics. I can see that almsot everything that I saw in the video was something that mainstream society has done to put down and place a negative stereotype on Hip-Hop. The fact is that many rappers have charities and help out their own neighborhoods because our own government won't (they'd rather take Iraq, than help our own people) (http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/17/people_crusades/main2195007.shtml , article on Jay Z , with his proceeds going to charity).
I felt the most real acting person in this documentary was David Banner . He was real with everything that he said. He didn't change the wording of his thoughts to make it sound more acceptable, he was real and he let his Hip-Hop beliefs and culture show through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home